As well as the schools on the MMEP programme the team also runs other community projects based in the Midlands.
- Lisakhanya internship programme started in 2015 was designed to support school leavers by addressing educational gaps that exist between school and the workplace. The aim is to develop young people to be self-confident and to take charge of their own futures, to seek out meaningful careers and/or study opportunities. Our vision is run an experiential initiative course where participants are encouraged to think for themselves and solve problems; to encourage community awareness and responsibility through a community project and to increase the ability of school leavers to seek meaningful careers and research study opportunities. We focus on sustainable development – it’s all about identifying people’s needs, but also identifying existing skills; to open their eyes to what they already have and create an awareness of how they can transform their lives through their own hard work.
Meet the class of 2016
- The well-established Mpophomeni Enviro Club meets once a month and is very well attended. The club runs different activities to improve their community environment and also fundraise for outings through projects, such as selling handmade flower pots at markets.
- The Super Bug Club meets monthly and is run by a social worker. The club provides a safe space for vulnerable children to talk and share their experiences to assist in their positive holistic growth. The graduates of the club have started their own club called Super Buddies and mentor the children in the Super Bug Club.
- Sisonke Now or Never is a network for social workers that was established as a referral unit for the Super Bug Club but has become a valuable resource for social workers to debrief after their emotionally draining work and talk to other social workers who have had similar experiences.
- MMEP Teacher’s Workshops are run annually and are run by the MMEP education facilitators and guest speakers in education. It provides an opportunity for teachers to learn of creative teaching methods and to share ideas.